Thursday, January 28, 2010

HEALTH - HERBAL HAIR RINSE

When I was a little girl, my hair was long enough to sit on. Getting my hair combed was a daily opportunity for momma and me to visit about all sorts of things. Because I was a very active “tom-boy,” my flowing auburn locks could get very gnarly. Although I didn’t realize it at the time, the vinegar momma put on my hair, as a final rinse, not only made me smell like a dill pickle, it also helped to unravel those tangles! Since those years, I’ve gone from straight to curly and even very short hair for a period of time. Yet, long hair has always held a special place in my heart. Not only is it pretty, it isn’t something that you see everyday.

Not unlike most women, I went through a middle-age stage when I simply didn’t know what to do with my graying hair. Most often, in an attempt to “look younger,” aging women cut their hair short, keep it dyed and often “permed.” In my opinion, vanity isn’t worth the risk I put myself under with the ongoing use of these carcinogenic chemicals. Therefore, I’ve concluded that there is no reason why I can’t be a long, gray-haired gramma and I’m back to using vinegar on my hair! In addition to untangling, vinegar effectively flushes away soap residue which so easily gets trapped in and strips moisture away from hair.

I’ve adapted a hair rinse recipe
that I found a www.mountainroseherbs.com
which I simply love.
If you are concerned about your graying hair,
you can even add herbs that will add color to your hair
without the dangerous carcinogens found in most hair dyes.


Ingredients:

2 oz. Rose Water
2 oz. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 oz. Water or choice of herbal infusion

Combine all ingredients, shake well before using, message well into scalp and hair. Leave on while finishing bath or shower, then rinse. Caution: vinegar will sting if allowed to get in your eyes.

If color is an issue for you, instead of water, the use of a strong herbal infusion will draw out the colors and even cover the gray in your hair over time with repeated use.

Making an infusion:
Add ¼ cup dried herb to 1 cup of filtered water in a sauce pan. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Over medium heat bring water to almost boiling. Remove from heat. Pour contents into jar. Seal and steep herbs over-night. Strain prior to adding to vinegar mixture.

For desired effects use:
Chamomile - gold tones
Hibiscus flowers or Alkaner root - reddish tones
Nettle - warm tones
Rosemary, Sage or Walnut leaves - brown tones

A mixture of Rosemary & Sage will darken gray hair. Most importantly, Rosemary stimulates the sluggish circulation in that ol’ scalp and Sage has anti-bacterial/fungal properties.

I’ve discovered that the resulting shine and the conditioning qualities of this herbal rinse are simply unbeatable. Don’t worry, you won’t smell like a pickle! Instead, the gentle fragrance of a blushing rose will accompany you every where you go!

Whole-Heartedly,
Bonnie



DISCLAIMER:
The author of this article does not endorse everything represented on/in suggested links, books, etc. Each of us is accountable to God weigh everything according to His Word.

All content of this article is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. The author sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. The information herein is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. The information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. This is best left to the Creator of the universe. In all health-related situations, “qualified healthcare professionals” should always be consulted. The author deems THE GREAT PHYSICIAN to be most qualified. The author assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment