Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hot Dog of a Man

We’ve met a man who is known in our community as, “Hot Dog”.  Hot Dog often attends music jams with his wife, who seems to be one of the most loyal, supportive persons I’ve ever observed.  While he mostly gets around in a wheelchair, when Hot Dog stands he is a very tall, big man!  Hot Dog is unable to speak clearly, but works very hard to communicate with those he is interested in.  He can tell you that he is “Hot Dog”.  Otherwise, under normal circumstances he only utters, “Yabba, yabba, yabba”.  However… it is simply amazing that at the jams, Hot Dog will pull himself up out of his wheelchair to stand and lead the crowd in singing “God Bless America”.  While it is obviously a struggle for him to get the words out, every word is quite clear!  His tenacity brings tears to my eyes every time.

A few weeks ago, I sang a closing song entitled, “Where Could I Go But To The Lord” written by James B. Coats.  Hot Dog’s eyes were glued to me as I sang:

Living below in this old sinful world,
Hardly a comfort can afford.
Striving alone to face temptations sore,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

Where could I go oh where could I go?
Seeking a refuge for my soul,
Needing a friend to help me in the end,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

Neighbors are kind, I love them every one. 
We get along in sweet accord. 
But when my soul needs manna from above,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

Where could I go oh where could I go?
Seeking a refuge for my soul,
Needing a friend to help me in the end,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

Life here is grand with friends I love so dear,
Comfort I get from God's own Word.
Yet when I face the chilling hand of death,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

Where could I go oh where could I go?
Seeking a refuge for my soul,
Needing a friend to help me in the end,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

It was obvious that Hot Dog was listening, but I had no idea how deeply the song touched his heart.  After the jam, he got up out of his wheelchair and using his cane, Hot Dog made his way over to where the musicians were sitting.  He began to shake each one’s hand.  To my surprise, instead of shaking my hand, Hot Dog drew me to himself and kissed me on the cheek.  Looking me straight in the eye he spoke, “I lub you”.  I nearly broke into tears.  Using his unaffected arm, he lifted his limp arm.  It was obvious that Hot Dog had something very important that he wanted to communicate to me, yet all that he could utter was, “Yabba, yabba, yabba, stroke.”  Our hearts were connected at that moment and I knew exactly what he had on his mind.  He wanted me to know that as a result of his stroke he had learned a very important lesson; “Where could I go but to the Lord?”

It is my understanding that Hot Dog was once a very stoic man and quite intimidating to most, especially his wife.  Today, when my brother Art sings, “I Wouldn’t Change You if I Could,” Hot Dog’s gaze locks onto his wife’s face with tears streaming from his eyes.  It’s amazing to me what the hand of God can do to a man’s heart.  I don’t know who this man used to be, but what I do know is that today… he’s a Hot Dog of a man!

Whole-Heartedly,
Bonnie

P.S.  Please feel free to contact me with questions, thoughts, topics you’d like to ponder or to read past articles at: http://whole-heartedlife.blogspot.com/.  You may also contact me at:
             Bonnie Jaeckle
             In Search of the Whole-Hearted Life
             Diagonal Progress
             505 Jefferson St.
             Diagonal, IA 50845



No comments:

Post a Comment