Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Disclosed Secret


When I was in the Philippines, I had the opportunity to enjoy some hummus that was out of this world!  I tried, to no avail to get the restaurant owner to share his recipe with me.  He smiled at me and said, “If I share this, I’ll be dead in the morning!”  I think he was teasing about being dead, but he was serious about not sharing his secret.

I’ve had a hunger for hummus several times since returning home from the Philippines, but nothing that I’ve tried compares to that which the Filipino chef prepares; plus, hummus in the grocery store is terribly expensive!  A few weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at making hummus and developed a recipe that, in my opinion, comes pretty close to the hummus that I’ve longed for.  In fact, I may be developing a new addiction!

If you are a hummus connoisseur, I think you’re taste buds will be delighted with this recipe.  If you’ve never had hummus, my recipe may be a good place to establish a taste for it. 

Let’s see… what shall I call it?  How about…

Disclosed Secret Hummus

¼ cup tahini paste
1 tsp. honey
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1 Tbsp dried)
3 cloves chopped/minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
¼ medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. chopped jalapeno pepper
2 – 15.5 oz. cans drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.  Add more oil and/or water if too dry.  Serve with crackers, pita bread, and/or vegetables.

Note: Hummus takes on many different faces.  Don’t be afraid to play around with various ingredients i.e.: tomatoes, olives, various spices, basil pesto, etc.

Hmm... should I warn my Filipino chef that his secret is out or simply enjoy my recipe and hope that he is spared?

Whole-Heartedly,
Bonnie

P.S.  Please feel free to contact me with questions, thoughts, topics you’d like to ponder or to read past articles at: http://whole-heartedlife.blogspot.com/.  You may also contact me at:
             Bonnie Jaeckle
             In Search of the Whole-Hearted Life
             Diagonal Progress
             505 Jefferson St.
             Diagonal, IA 50845

No comments:

Post a Comment