Thursday, June 10, 2010

NATIONALISM - THERE IS A FLAG

When the land was made up of many kingdoms, each king had a flag that flew over his castle. Wherever the king went, the flag was flown overhead so that people could identify his presence.

Even today most nations have a flag which identifies them from others and a designated day each year for honoring their flag. In fact, in some countries, flying their national flag from public buildings is required by law.

The week of June 14 is designated as "National Flag Week.” The president will urge U.S. citizens to fly the American flag throughout the week. All Government buildings are also to display the flag. Various organizations hold parades and events celebrating the American flag and all that it represents.

As children of Christ’s Kingdom, is there a flag that we can raise in order for others to recognize our King and our Nation?

In 1897 there was a “Christian” flag designed during an impromptu speech made by Charles C. Overton. This flag is now flown in thousands of “churches,” most often next to an American flag. In fact, the design of it was inspired by the American flag.

But, do others recognize Jesus when they see this flag flown? Does our King reside in a building? Is this flag visible for those outside the basilica to see? Is it taken wherever our King goes so that others can identify Him? Or is there another kind of flag for citizens of the Kingdom of God to raise that will rightly honor their King?

As I ponder all of this, I’m reminded of a catchy little tune entitled:

THERE IS A FLAG

There is a flag flown from the castle of my heart,
The castle of my heart, the castle of my heart;
There is a flag flown high from the castle of my heart
When the King is in residence there.

So raise it high in the sky, let the whole world know,
Let the whole world know, let the whole world know;
So raise it high in the sky, let the whole world know
That the King is in residence there


Love is the Flag flown from the castle of my heart,
The castle of my heart, the castle of my heart;
Love is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart
When the King is in residence there.

Peace is the Flag flown from the castle of my heart,
The castle of my heart, the castle of my heart;
Peace is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart
When the King is in residence there.

Joy is the Flag flown from the castle of my heart,
The castle of my heart, the castle of my heart;
Joy is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart
When the King is in residence there.


It is my prayer that, during this “National Flag Week,” the holy nation of God will also raise their “flag” as a testimony to all other nations that there is only one King of kings who rules over all and deserves our allegiance.

Whole-Heartedly,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment