Thursday, April 12, 2012

THE NUMBER OF OUR DAYS

Have you ever considered what it will be like to die: How’s it going to happen? How old will I be? Who will see me through it? Maybe you have faced death in the past or maybe you are facing it right now! As a trauma nurse and having faced life-threatening health issues myself, I understand how frightening it can be. Consider with me, if you will, what I believe the Lord has shown me as I’ve wrestled through this issue.

From the moment we are conceived, we begin to face death. It could happen anytime from that point on. Yet, most of us become extremely anxious when an “expert” tells us, “You only have a short time to live” and we begin to take every measure possible in an attempt to “preserve ourselves.”

Traditional cancer “treatment” is a good example of this. Even the least medically minded person, if they would honestly consider it, would realize the devastating affects of chemotherapy. Why do we so readily assent to being injected with poisonous chemicals which wipe-out everything in their path, including healthy cells, in an effort to annihilate the unhealthy? When we consent to irradiating diseased cells, we are yielding to lethal doses of cancer-causing radiation! When we acquiesce to removing lymph nodes, our immune system, which is absolutely necessary to stand against the deadly “management” of cancer, is significantly altered! I’m not sure I understand …

Why are we willing to go to such illogically drastic measures
in a last-ditch effort to extend our lives
when we are clearly told,
Man’s days are determined;
you have decreed the number of his months
and have set limits he cannot exceed?
(Job 14:5)

Why do we squander what could be our last days consumed with running from one medical appointment to another? Why do we choose to expend those precious moments in a medicated daze unable to enjoy them or our loved-ones? Why do we mindlessly chase after “the most successful treatment available,” leaving our loved ones in financial ruin? The traditional medical approach to cancer is presented as being concerned about “quality of life.” Oh really? For whom? I’ve never witnessed a cancer patient experiencing any quality of life and this certainly can’t be referring to the lives of their loved ones who ride the medical merry-go-round along side of them!

“Oh, chemotherapy and radiation cured me of cancer,” some might say. I respectfully disagree. In my humble opinion, the fact that you survived the barbaric, money making scheme is a miracle of God and a reminder of exactly Who is in control of the number of days that you live!

I know people who have been told by their doctor that they have only a few days left to live and they are still alive, years later. On the other hand, others have been given a “clean bill of health” and they go home and die the same day! I cared for a man who held a shotgun in his mouth, aimed toward his skull and pulled the trigger. When he arrived at our trauma center, he was sitting up-right on the gurney. From every view, the x-rays revealed buck-shot scattered throughout his skull, yet he was experiencing no ill effects from the trauma whatever! Laughing he said, “I can’t even do this right!” I still wonder today if this event caused him to consider that no one and nothing can do anything to shorten or extend our days!

I recall having a heart-to-heart conversation with my son, Jake just before he left for combat in Afghanistan. Through tears, I reminded him and myself that no matter where he is or what he is doing, his days are already numbered. With all the assurance within me, I recited Psalm 139:15-16 -

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

While Jake was home on leave, a military brother was killed filling the position which Jake normally held!


Show me, O Lord,
my life’s end and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.
Psalm139:4

Don’t misunderstand me to say that we shouldn’t be wise in how we care for ourselves nor was I suggesting that Jake stand out in the middle of the battlefield daring the “enemy” to shoot him. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, so we must honor God with our bodies (1 Corinthians6:19-20)! What I am saying is,

In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:10


Whole-Heartedly,

Bonnie

P.S. Please feel free to contact me with questions, thoughts, topics you’d like to ponder or to read past articles at: http://whole-heartedlife.blogspot.com/. You may also contact me at:

Bonnie Jaeckle
In Search of the Whole-Hearted Life
Diagonal Progress
505 Jefferson St.
Diagonal, IA 50845

No comments:

Post a Comment