Thursday, November 26, 2009

THANKSGIVING

Thanksgiving: an expression of gratitude; a token of appreciation of God’s blessings.

I readily admit that I don’t always have the most thankful heart. I’m often more focused on what could and should be, rather than on giving God thanks and praise for what is and seeing His blessings in it. Where do I turn when I need a heart adjustment? Singing His praises. As I lift my spirit to Jesus in song, His Holy Spirit floods my heart with thankfulness for His precious gift of redemption and the multitude of daily blessings He brings into my life

The Holy Spirit has often used the hymn, Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing to rekindle a thankful spirit within me:

Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of God's unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him; bless His name.
-Psalms 100:4


If you find yourself struggling to be thankful today, it is my prayer that these lyrics will help to fix your eyes upon the only One who can create a genuinely thankful heart within you.


Whole-Heartedly,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment